Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Change

It has been a few weeks since the Haiti trip, and the first word that comes to mind regarding the trip would be “change”.  All of us were changed in big and small ways. I changed a lot in the way I thought about missions. Before the trip I felt that missions were good and that they were helping people, but they never had an impact upon my life. I have so much respect now for people in missions and I now have a sense of the mission world and I can see that they are doing good work.

The last days in Haiti I had no desire to leave and I did not want to go back home. I didn’t think I could handle the change, but I had no choice but to leave. It was a very tough plane ride home for me because, to be honest, I was angry at myself for the way I had been living back in Canada. I was living a selfish life and I didn’t think I could go back home and be my old self. I then realized that I didn’t have to live in my old self, I could go home and be a new Kenton and live a more selfless life. 

I really feel like Haiti is the place for me and I know that God will make my life and Haiti intersect again. I loved it so much and I felt that I could be myself, like I didn’t have to prove anything. We met some great people from other teams and even though I probably won’t see them again I know that they made and impact on my life.

Finally I would like to thank our whole team for making this a trip that will be remembered. You guys are the best and I will miss all of our jokes and fun times that we shared together.

God Bless!

-Kenton Van Pelt

No comments:

Post a Comment